Clips shopping BD; former Clipper Cutino Mobley eying Comeback

7 Nov

The Los Angeles Clippers are exploring whether anyone has interest in trading for point guard Baron Davis. Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro recently criticized Davis’ conditioning, and the Clippers won their first game of the season – a 107-92 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder – with Davis out of lineup because of a swollen left knee. Including this season, Davis has three years and $41.8 million left on his contract

Former NBA guard Cuttino Mobley told Yahoo! Sports that he’s hoping to return after sitting out the past two seasons.

Mobley announced on Dec. 10, 2008, that he “couldn’t continue to play professional basketball without putting my health and life in serious danger” after doctors told him he was at risk because of his heart condition, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. The condition, which was linked to the deaths of former Boston Celtics forward Reggie Lewis and Loyola Marymount star Hank Gathers, causes the heart muscle to thicken, making it more difficult to pump blood.

Mobley, 35, says he’s confident his heart is fine, and is willing to undergo a series of physicals for interested teams.

“I just want to come in and kind of help out for 10, 15 minutes [per game] if I could,” Mobley said. “And if they wanted to give me a test with three to four different doctors and have me go through some type of process, I’m all for it. I just want to let people know they shouldn’t be afraid of me and what could happen to me.

“A lot of people are saying, ‘Why do you want to play? We are afraid for you.’ No, you’re afraid for yourselves. You’re not afraid for me. Believe me, I’m fine.”

Mobley said he should have been more patient and sought additional medical opinions before announcing his retirement. The New York Knicks acquired Mobley in the trade that sent Zach Randolph(notes) to the Los Angeles Clippers, but he never played a game for them. Mobley previously knew he had an irregularity with his heart, but the Knicks’ physical showed the condition had worsened.

The Knicks declined to comment publicly about Mobley’s efforts to return to the NBA, but a team source said the franchise believes its medical staff made the safest recommendation for Mobley.

“They tried to do the best that they thought they could do for me,” Mobley said. “It kind of shocked me. Instead of months to really think about it, I had a day or two. [The Knicks] said, ‘No you can’t play,’ and they literally took me up to Boston and the Boston doctor said, ‘No, he can’t play.’ I’m like, ‘Wait, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Listen man, it’s OK.’ He said, ‘No, I’ve seen this.’ He was so adamant about this.
Continue reading →

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: